29 April 2012

A Vintage Schachuhr

For some reason, I don't feature many chess clocks on this fortnightly series on Top eBay Chess Items by Price. I shortlist them often enough, but usually choose another item for a new post in the series. The only previous clock I could locate is Elegant Classical Chess Clock, from two years ago.

The title of the current item was 'Vintage German chess clock – Schachuhr', from a seller in Denmark. It received 39 bids from 11 bidders, finally selling for GBP 620. Ebay calculated this to be 'approximately US $1,006.69'.

The no-frills description said,

German made chess clock from the 20’s – in fully working condition. Steel and brass on wooden base. Height: 19 cm, length: 26 cm, depth: 8 cm. I am a retired watchmaker selling out of my spare parts and stock.

The move lever appears to be the horizontal bar with two knobs above the clocks. My guess is that the assembly is one-of-a-kind, perhaps homemade. Whatever it is, a thousand bucks for a vintage chess clock indicates a serious collector.

No comments: